Thursday 24 February 2011

MMORPG's and Me

Me and MMO games have a strange relationship,

Asheron's Call (back in 1999) was the first online rpg I played, For the time it was stunning, lovely landscapes interesting little monsters running around, my first encounter with a Drudge, weird giant bush baby type creature, was a comical experience. I spent 5 minutes trying to talk to him thinking he was another player, not noticing my health decreasing until I finally dropped dead.

Lessons were learned, and I played on. Looking back this was the longest time I have actually spent playing an online role play game, consecutively , everyday for about 2 years I was logged in. And then something made me lose interest in it.


That something was Everquest, released roughly the same time as Asheron's Call, it had much more choice in character creation, and the playing areas, though blocky by today's standards, were so much more varied.
I realise that I should probably expand on this, but genuinely I cannot actually remember anything other than thinking

"wow, this looks different"

And then losing the best part of a year to it.. Although thinking about it, I do remember a lot of expansions packs ...alot of expansions

Fast forward 12 years.

I've played many more MMORPG's between then and now, some being so bad that they have been permanently erased from my memory.. Trying to remember them just inserts a Simpsons style flashback video of Homer trying to remember what he drunkenly did the night before, only to have a silent movie play black and "scene missing" card flash up.

I still play MMO's, I've been playing World of Warcraft on and off since it's release in 2005, I own all the expansions, I find playing it fun for 2-3 weeks get bored and leave, yet a month or two goes by and I feel unexplainably drawn to play again. And the cycle continues..

The last time I played this was the result





..
Yeah a Werewolf in a top hat and dress.

Recently I started to play the new DC Universe online (PC version), and I haven't been this excited about playing an MMO since the early days of Asheron's Call and Everquest.

Create a Hero/villain fight to save humanity for good or evil purposes.. Not the greatest plot, but it doesn't matter. For all intents and purposes the plot of the game could involve mice becoming sentient and taking over the world, and its down to you to save the bit of cheese, I wouldn't care, it let's me dress up in bright green Lycra, fly and fight people with duel pistols.. Any game that lets me live out some John Woo style action will automatically be a winner to me.

For the moment I can see playing this for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment