Friday 15 July 2011

Future UK Publishing Redundancy’s Looming

Over on the MCV website there is an article up stating that Future Publishing will be making "around 100" staff redundant, Future are the publishers behind the Official Xbox 360, Official PlayStation, PC Gamer, GamesMaster and EDGE magazines, also Hi-Fi Choice, Home Cinema Choice, PC Format, and a wide selection of Hobby magazines including, Cross Stitch Collection, The Knitter and Your Family Tree.. Not that I Have ever read any of that last lot…

The move comes after a trading statement showed that the sales of printed media (magazines) was down. a fair point, pretty much all information released in magazines nowadays is available on the internet at least 2-3 weeks before the monthly magazines are printed, and are old news by the time the latest issues hit the newsagent's.

The article states that they will be transferring to a “predominantly digital model” which to me sounds as if they will be transferring over to app like editions for the current tablet generation.

I do not like this, as much as I love technology, I do not want to be permanently glued to a PC, tablet or games console to read up on news's and events. I would dare take a Tablet PC with me for a bath, like I do with magazines or books.. at least with a magazine the worst you have to watch out for is dropping it and ending up with a couple of soggy pages.. I wouldn't want to think of the repair bill for dropping an Ipad.. nor would I want to explain to whoever was repairing it..

Redundancy is never a happy experience, I've suffered it before, and I wish the staff at future publishing well & good luck for the future.. no pun intended..

No comments:

Post a Comment