Monday 7 March 2011

Fight Night Champion, So Far...

I am having an interesting time with Fight Night Champion at the moment.

On one hand I am loving the revised full spectrum punch controls, as a button veteran of the series (I waited for the downloadable pack for Fight Night: Round 4 reintroducing the buttons before I finished playing ) using the right thumbstick now feels more natural, pulling off 4 punch combinations including uppercuts and hooks is a lot easier. In fact compared to the last game using the buttons makes your fighting feel slower which is a little off putting.

Legends mode is the standard create your boxer and take him to the heady levels of greatness gamemode we all know and love, if your a raging egomaniac like me the game face feature is a lot faster than the last time. Upload a picture of yourself to http://www.easports.com and you can create a virtual fight who, sort of, looks like you.

At the moment the little bit of hate I have for the game is aimed squarely at “Champion” mode, the story mode in the title. Charting the rise, fall and rise again of “Andre Bishop” an up and coming middleweight boxer. After getting screwed over and sent to prison your released to make a comeback.

The fights inside prison were interesting, bare knuckled and against skinheads, with no rules. But the story plays out like a really poorly written script for a discarded Rocky film.
Certain matches have certain requirements, “Knock so-and-so out before round 3” or “win by knock out”, my favourite was definitely “win only using your left hand” which takes place after you hit your opponent so hard you break your right hand.. which was different for me, the majority of my jabs and hooks come from the right. Although the conversation between Andre and his trainer Gus amused me for a few seconds

Andre - “my right hand, its broken”
Gus - “what are you going to do”
Andre - “use the left”

So barring a really... really poor story mode, Fight Night Champion is a lot of fun

I will be taking a look at the multiplayer soon, but you now what to expect from a Fight Night game, if you like boxing it will be on your to buy list.

No comments:

Post a Comment