Wednesday 9 March 2011

Fight Night Champion, Champion mode finished..

I finally got around to finishing Fight Night Champion's story mode last night.

The story charting middleweight boxer Andre Bishop's rise, fall, and rise to heavyweight champion is definitely the weakest part of the game.

Not wanting to give too much away about the story, but you can guess straight away that you will be champion, you will get screwed over, and there will be a mild sexual tension between Andre and his manager.. Although it comes across as creepy at times.


My main gripe with it was the final match against Isaac Frost, a boxer who look's like he has taken all the steroids in the world, and gone back for a second helping.

In an attempt to make match feel more epic you are given challenges, the first being:

"Survive for 2 rounds"
Simple enough I thought, dodged and weaved at him, and got floored by what looked like a jab..
My first thought was lucky punch, but after going down again within 20 seconds I realised.. This is how it's supposed to be?! Eventually I lost and went back for a rematch.

This lead to 6 minutes of running away and hoping I don't get backed into the corner. I play games to be entertained.. Doing nothing for 6 minutes is boring as hell.

Next challenge:

"Work the Body"
Land 75 hard body shots, at the same time as avoiding everything he throws at you. For 3 rounds.

"Protect the Cut"
It's scripted that while landing the 75 body shots, you receive a cut over your eye.. Yep now it's time to spend another 6 minutes doing nothing but blocking and running, 8 punches to the face and your out, game over.

Finally at the 8th round, Frost turns into a normal fighter and you get to finally beat the snot out of him.. After all of that I put him on the floor once, and a cutscene interrupted the count at 6 to tell me I had won.

After the credits a nice stats screen pops up and tells you how long you played for, how many punches thrown/landed and how many times you've been on the floor.

2 hours 35 minutes to finish story mode...

Is there a shorter story mode in any other game?

No comments:

Post a Comment